Re: [GENERAL] Stuck in a vacuum.

От Stuart Rison
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Stuck in a vacuum.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>Stuart Rison wrote:
>>
>> HI Vadim,
>>
>> Version 6.4.0 on an old, old (100Mhz) Indigo 2 running IRIX 5.3.
>>
>> I have to say that every query I've performed so far on the 400,000 row
>> table has been painfully slow -I haven't dare do any joins with an 18,069
>> row table but I might try today- and so...
>>

>> any suggestions on how to tweak the system (e.g. options when starting
>> postmaster) would be welcome.
>
>-B ??
>The higher the better.

no really big on memory/buffer issues, I have 64MB memory... how big can I
make -B?

I am presuming that you can't just willy-nilly increase the size of -B and
that the extent you can increase it by is dependant on available memory.

>Also, I don't know has Indigo TEST AND SET or not.
>400,000 rows is not so much for PG.

Yes, I thought 400,000 rows should not be too much of a problem.  I don't
know what TEST AND SET is/are!  How can I check if I have them and what do
they do anyway?

>> I'm not actually considering upgrading to 6.5 but could well be convinced
>> if that means a dramatic increase in speed!
>
>I'm not sure. But it's better in multi-user environment.

I was also under the impression that it had a greatly improved query
optimizer.  Would it make an difference with two-way and three-way joins?

regards,

S.

| Stuart Rison            | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041    | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM.     |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040    | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |